Interesting People mailing list archives

Computer-assisted decisions sometimes a good thing

From: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 21:31:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: May 1, 2008 9:25:48 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Computer-assisted decisions sometimes a good thing

Dave
Please make me anonymous because I'm saying something at the end I should keep my pride out of. If I've written too often, consider this offlist.

A friend of mine a number of years ago received a security clearance that would probably have been rejected by most automated systems. This was when being gay was a major issue on clearances, and she was publicly gay. She also had actively picketed military institutions a few years before. On top of that, she had friends who were in strong and sometimes active opposition to U.S. government policies, which would probably set off warning flags. I don't know all the details, but I believe her life had included some things off the profile.

On the other hand, she was a very solid, smart, mature and dependable person, qualities harder to reduce to a system. Some human being took the time to review things carefully, and let her through. Some of that may have been that the policy on gays was being questioned, but I'd guess careful judgment made the difference.

So I'm writing to urge that anyone writing the software on this think carefully about not excluding people on automatic criteria. As much as possible, think of criteria that a human would use to override some of the "automatic" choices. It's faster to write software like this with fewer but more arbitrary rules. It's probably both more humane and effective if you take the time to define more special cases.

I got called in years ago to work on a system for a national employment agency and discovered how arbitrary things could be. About half the searches came in with a maximum age of 40-45 years. The recruiters explained that was what the clients wanted, and they'd just find a reason to reject anyone older for a position like assistant menswear buyer. I should have walked on the spot, and did not long after. I remember clearly one of their researchers pressing me on this, saying that occasionally she'd spot someone older who had a background so appropriate they proved the ideal candidate. A human may catch things like that; an ordinary AI/expert system wouldn't, but perhaps a more carefully done program can approach that level.

Incidentally, occasional experiences like that have convinced me that prejudice is not gone. Soon after, the controller of the company rejected the department's choice for a job and said explicitly, "We don't hire black people here. We had a problem." On that, I went to the Chairman of the company, the policy was reversed, but I was out. Fortunately, I was consulting in a field I knew I'd soon have other gigs, and didn't have a family. That makes it easier.

I've been in many mixed race situations since then, and comments that overt I've rarely heard even among people of the same group. I think things have gotten better since the 70's and 80's. I'd like to think no one objected when Bill Kennard, a black man, was chosen to head the FCC and he later appointed the Jewish Dave Farber to a senior post. But social science research and my occasional personal experience that think foolish those who think the problem is behind us. I recently heard something despicable said about Jews by someone who didn't know I was Jewish.