Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:11:41 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:55 PM
To: Brett Glass
Cc: Richard Bennett; David Farber; ip; Gordon Peterson; scott () bluespike com; Rbohn () ucsd edu; griffin () onehouse
com; Kenneth_Mayer () Dell com; vxm () miglia com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:     Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on  ISPs

Tom Paine, Tom Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and other American
revolutionaries would roll over in their graves.  Of course, American
history is no longer taught sufficiently to understand what the
revolution was about.  Now we seem to be teaching that democracy is
merely holding elections to elect Sovereigns (like Bush claims to be)
and handing out tax money to the star-making machinery of the world
because our leaders like Clinton and Bush like to hang with the
Hollywood crowd for the sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll...

You guys are Tory luntics.

Brett Glass wrote:
I am not in favor of volume metered pricing, either. However, the one advantage of it is that the music/movie "tax"
could be based on statistics which were already being collected for each user (the bill would say how many gigabytes
each customer was using). So, the only thing left to do would be to figure out what percentage of those bytes were
music or movies on which royalties were owed and how they should be divided (a la ASCAP).

--Brett Glass