Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: VoIP competitors try to avoid spiting on their subscribers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:43:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 11, 2008 10:36:35 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: RE: [IP] VoIP competitors try to avoid spiting on their subscribers

Speaking of creating a problem and then wanting to be a hero for making it less bad. “Serious quality of service problems” – sounds suspiciously like Hush-a-Phone.

Are VoIP providers are going to be like Verizon was in deciding who gets short code? How is this different than email blocking? Sure I want control over who what rings my phone but this doesn't give me any control. This is another reminder that we are still dealing with phone companies no matter what technology they use. Note that VoIP companies don't allow direct calling to other VoIP company's subscribers. Instead they run all traffic through their switches creating an artificial constriction.

Why not give me the ability to decide what calls I want using my own software and choice of filtering services instead of letting them choose for me in order to solve a problem they created for themselves? But once we understand that why are we still pretending that the PSTN is other than a simulation over IP whose only purpose is to generate billable events?