Interesting People mailing list archives

BT telecom monitoring tool a hit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:59:53 -0800

From: Esther Dyson [edyson () edventure com]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 12:25 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Fwd: BT telecom monitoring tool a hit

Big future forecast for ‘asset monitoring’ system

<http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/business-in-wales/business-news/2008/03/07/>Mar
7 2008 by Martin Shipton, Western Mail

A SOPHISTICATED “asset monitoring” technique
developed by BT researchers in Wales is expected
to evolve into a multi-billion-pounds industry.

From next month, the telecoms giant will start
rolling out a number of business packages that
will enable customers to access the new technology.

Using a combination of fibre optic sensing,
wi-fi, video image recognition, mobile and
satellite positioning and radio frequency
identification tagging techniques make it
possible for constant tracking of many different
things, including trains, track or roadside
equipment, station platforms and road vehicles.

So when a lorry travels through a city, it can
be tracked with a radio tag or via cameras. In
remoter areas, the versatile monitoring device
on board may automatically opt to use global positioning system (GPS).

The new technological developments mean that
railway operators can more closely monitor their
trains and the condition of line-side equipment,
road hauliers can locate their lorries and
containers with pin-point accuracy, and users of
enhanced mobile devices need never be out of
contact as the tracking technology seamlessly
switches them from one network to the next, wherever they are.

A small BT Global Services design team based in
Cardiff developed the data platform – a series
of modules which take in different types of raw
location-based data and then merge it to provide
a complete picture and a basis for applications.

The complete picture may be the location of a
moving asset to establish where it is and its
current condition – information which is then
sent to the client’s online monitoring centre.

Or it could be an alert notifying intrusion and
theft, or the position of a work team alongside a railway track.

Often BT’s fixed or wireless network can also be
used to solve problems by linking monitoring
devices and relaying information back to a
vehicle driver or to a remote control centre.

Ian Drury, one of the senior BT researchers from
the group’s Cardiff Data Centre who have
developed the new system, said, “There is no
limit to the kind of applications for which this
could be used. Our starting point was the
telecoms network with which we have been familiar for many years.

“We now have systems that will alert us when
there is something wrong with a network –
essentially the broken element alerts us to come and fix it.

“Now, in our 21st Century Network, we can apply
this in many other situations affecting more conventional industries.

“If there is something wrong with a pipeline or
railway track, a message will be sent and lives could potentially be saved.”

Mr Drury said other possibilities included the concept of ticketless travel.

“If someone wanted to take a train from Cardiff
Central to London, for example, they could
register to pay their fare via their mobile,” he said.

“It could also be used to automatically pay
congestion charges in London or elsewhere in the
future. Alerts about specific areas of traffic
congestion could also be sent, giving
individuals the opportunity to take alternative routes.

“It could also offer the option of a park and
ride, saving the driver the cost of the
congestion charge, or book places in a city centre car park.

“In coming years, this kind of service is going
to become commonplace, and from our point of
view it is important that BT get in at the very beginning.”
John T. Mulqueen
Editorial Director
Spring O'Brien Inc.
50 West 23rd St.
New York, N.Y. 10010
(212) 620 7100 ext. 229
(212) 620 7166 (fax)
(914) 439 3807

Esther Dyson              Always make new mistakes!

EDventure Holdings
c/o Meetup, 10th floor
632 Broadway
New York, NY 10012
USA

phone:  +1 646 442-6679  (office)
edyson () edventure com        www.edventure.com

Flickr pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edyson

Release 0.9 (blog and bio):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/esther-dyson/ or
feed://www.ponyfish.com/feeds/14320hOmiDEju
"The remainder of the proof is left as an exercise for the reader."