Interesting People mailing list archives

: Feds Have a High-Speed Backdoor Into Wireless Carrier

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:09:35 -0800

From: EEkid () aol com [EEkid () aol com]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:53 PM
To: David Farber; dfarber () cs cmu edu
Subject: Feds Have a High-Speed Backdoor Into Wireless Carrier

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/03/whistleblower-f.html

"A U.S. government office in Quantico, Virginia, has direct, high-speed access to a major wireless carrier's systems,
exposing customers' voice calls, data packets and physical movements to uncontrolled surveillance, according to a
computer security consultant who says he worked for the carrier in late 2003.

"What I thought was alarming is how this carrier ended up essentially allowing a third party outside their organization
to have unfettered access to their environment," Babak Pasdar, now CEO of New York-based Bat Blue told Threat Level. "I
wanted to put some access controls around it; they vehemently denied it. And when I wanted to put some logging around
it, they denied that."

Pasdar won't name the wireless carrier in question, but his claims are nearly identical to unsourced allegations made
in a federal lawsuit filed in 2006 against four phone companies and the U.S. government for alleged privacy violations.
That suit names Verizon Wireless as the culprit. "