Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Billion-dollar IT failure at Census Bureau

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:23:50 -0700

From: Simon Higgs [simon () higgs com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:49 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: david () abscott com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Billion-dollar IT failure at Census Bureau

The problem isn't the contract, it's the culture. Based on my experience
automating some the USG procurement processes, there are major cultural
deficiencies which hampers the implementation of old government business
processes with new technology (unlike new processes are easier to
implement).

The fact is, the government outsources to contractors because it is
incapable of doing it in-house. The idea may be sound but the ability to
understand the technology and the consequences of implementing that
technology isn't understood. As a result, the contract goals are often a
moving target. The more the government learns about what the new
technology can achieve, the further the project will move outside the
scope of the original contract and the higher the budget overruns. This
is all presuming the contractor didn't crash and burn as it hit
impenetrable walls of government culture as well.

Had this been FedEx or UPS or any commercially viable enterprise with a
fiscal accountability process (i.e. shareholders), this would have been
finished in a way that removed the cultural obstacles long before the
cost overruns put the company into receivership.