Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: We need a Magna Carta moment on information

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:58:34 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 11:19 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] We need a Magna Carta moment on information

Note that the Magna Carta was the first limitation of a King's powers
forced onto the King by his subjects.

I'd suggest an alternative.  Don't grant the King the framing based on
the idea that he has *any* powers that do not derive from the people
through their creation of a fully amendable constitution that is beyond
the reach of the King.

That's the difference between the American Revolution and its result
from the English process and its result.  It's also the difference
between Edmund Burke (the Ronald Reagan of his time) and the American
founders (as eloquently related by Tom Paine in The Rights of Man).

Granting the idea that "information" is somehow separate from the
natural communications of human beings, that it is "owned" by default,
that it is the province of abstract persons like "sovereigns" and
"corporation" - merely *granting* that idea to be true is how we become
slaves.

So I'd go way beyond a "Magna Carta" moment.  I'd reject the very
concept that ideas can be owned or regulated.  Even copyright limits its
scope to *fixed* expression, not ideas.

Ideas are not the province of government.  They never have been.  Don't
even enter into an argument based on that premise.