Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Let's play "Deconstruct the media!" -- America's new subprime shanty-towns

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:04:11 -0700

From: Andrew C Burnette [acb () acb net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:15 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: bmeeks () cox net
Subject: Re: [IP] Let's play "Deconstruct the media!" -- America's new subprime shanty-towns

Brock, Dave,

I too was a bit confused by the story and the title.  It reminded me of
a 1970's era soviet film about the USofA in which they show a typical
town in the breadbasket of America, describe the poverty of capitalism,
homeless, and then in one of the scenes of the homeless is the US
Capital in the background....in Kansas perhaps.

During the three decades inbetween, a particular phenomenon has happened
to the mainstream media. Commoditization. Where once you read the paper
the next morning, or watch a short evening newscast, you now have
virtually hundreds of media outlets, many purporting the same names of
famous times in the past, yet no depth in reporting, only the scratching
of claws trying to hold onto whatever revenue stream is available to
sustain them.

In the 1970's, war photos would often sell for hundreds if not thousands
of dollars, today, one can see those on youtube for free. Production was
once expensive, now parody websites (i.e. the onion) can produce better
quality spoofs of election result leaks than one sees on the nightly
news, obviously, the cost having been reduced to near zero.

In much the same fashion, one could expect many right leaning news
moguls financing the Democratic party, and left leaning Moguls financing
the Republican party for the sole purpose of playing to the ratings over
the next president's term.  What is a pundit without his adversarial
subject.

Best regards,
andy