Interesting People mailing list archives

Supermarket data breach affects 4.2 million accounts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:37:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:
From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: March 18, 2008 4:19:27 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Supermarket data breach affects 4.2 million accounts

[Note: This item comes from reader Monty Solomon. We all should never forget how often this sort of thing happens these days. DLH]

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: March 17, 2008 4:13:36 PM PDT

Supermarket data breach affects 4.2 million accounts

March 17, 2008 04:43 PM

The Hannaford Bros. supermarket chain said a breach of its computer system led to the theft of about 4.2 million credit and debit card numbers from its Hannaford and Sweetbay stores and other locations.

Hannaford, based in Maine, said about 1,800 cases of fraud have been tied to the breach, but no personal information -- such as names or addresses -- was accessed, and it has contained the breach. The security lapse is the latest to affect a large retailer, and comes amid tougher scrutiny on the payments industry following a breach that emerged last year that compromised as many as 100 million card numbers of customers of Framingham retailer TJX Cos.

Hannaford operates 165 stores in the Northeast. There are 106 Sweetbay supermarkets in Florida. The company said in a statement posted to its website that the stolen data was "illegally accessed from our computer systems during transmission of card authorization.''
..

<http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2008/03/supermarket_dat.html>