Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: ALSO MUST READ NYTimes.com: Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic "People seem to be missing the point."

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:09:03 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:48 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: 'Roger Bohn'; 'Dave Burstein'
Subject: RE: [IP] ALSO MUST READ  NYTimes.com: Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic "People seem to be missing
the point."

 I do have three broadband pipes – RCN, Comcast, FiOS and while competition does slowly work its magic it’s basically
more of the same – until the whole model collapses. There really is no magic and there is no real scarcity either.

We keep getting sucked into a false battle over scarcity and let ourselves be pitted against our neighbors who are
stealing bandwidth from us. We miss the larger point. We don’t even think of asking why we are billed for wireless
connectivity – we’re too fixated on broadband. The problem is in the model that forces us into corralling bits into
narrow billable paths and we’re not allowed to be owners and invest in capacity.

Cellular phones are a good example of creating scarcity – why do they have to go through the constrictions of towards?
Apple was able to support 10,000 MAC (Mac MACs?) at WWDC at Moscone using 802.11 without creating billable events.

If having your own fiber costs $1000 (before Moore’s law) then why do you care what your neighbor is doing. You don’t
solve this by creating in incentive to create scarcity by creating a usage charge – you provide the opportunity for
individuals and/or the community to buy more capacity – just like within the homes.

Why do we make streaming video the defining application? If you don’t have the capacity to watch an HD real time stream
then dynamically adapt or do buffering. Don’t impose a morality tax on your neighbor because you want to use bad
algorithms. The networks are getting this and using smarter ways to send video despite the problems in the middle – as
Dave Burstein has noted – that’s the real worry for the carriers – not sharing home movies.

This fixation on video forces us to tolerate billable wireless and that does real damage in leaving us disconnected
except when in front of our TV/PC screens.

http://www.frankston.com/public/rss.xml