Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NYTimes.com: Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:35:39 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:13 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Subject: RE: [IP] NYTimes.com: Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic

I’m going to mull a letter to the NYT – in the meantime I need to shout.

The Internet is not like electricity!! The idea that are using it up is stupid at best.

Remember that ISDN failed because no matter how technically better it was the big feature was bringing back usage
charges – but fortunately the unmeasured usage of POTS allowed us to discover the Internet. Today with capacity
increasing at Moore’s law speeds the idea that we are using up the Internet is simply a self-serving lie.

My own informal testing via my Verizon connection has shown the amount of “bandwidth” that I get connecting cross the
country has more than doubled in the last year – what’s the problem ATT is trying to solve other than preying on its
customers?

The ability to impose these charges is something is, in itself, evidence of extreme marketplace control.

Limiting our ability to communicate in the face of abundance is a violation of the US First Amendment.