Interesting People mailing list archives

France blocks online c-porn, terrorism, racism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:07:50 -0700

From: Seth Finkelstein [sethf () sethf com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:37 PM
To: David Farber; ip
Subject: France blocks online c-porn, terrorism, racism

http://www.latimes.com/technology/ats-ap_technology11jun10,0,690112.story

France blocks online child porn, terrorism, racism
10:43 AM PDT, June 10, 2008

PARIS -- France is joining at least five other countries where
Internet service providers block access to child pornography and to
content linked to terrorism and racial hatred, the French interior
minister said Tuesday.

The agreement will take effect in September. A blacklist will be
compiled based on input from Internet users who flag sites containing
offensive material, Interior Minister Michel Alliot-Marie said.

All service providers in France have agreed to block offending sites,
he said.

"We can no longer tolerate the sexual exploitation of children in the
form of child pornography," Alliot-Marie said. "We have come to an
agreement: access to child pornography sites will be blocked in
France. Other democracies have done it. France could wait no longer."

Offensive sites will be referred to judicial authorities, the minister
said.

A similar deal was announced Tuesday in New York, where Verizon,
Sprint and Time Warner Cable agreed with New York state officials to
block access to child porn.

Britain, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Canada and New Zealand are among
other countries that have already implemented similar measures.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  http://sethf.com
Infothought blog - http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/