Interesting People mailing list archives

must have been very good meals $10m

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:14:13 -0700

from bbc on icann domain proposal

"

Under the new plans hundreds of new domain names could be created by the end of the year, rising to thousands in the
future.

Individuals will be able to register a domain based on their own name, or any other string of letters, as long as they
can show a "business plan and technical capacity".

Companies will also be able to bid for addresses based on their brand names, although some believe they maybe faced
with too much choice.

"Does Tesco want .supermarket or .groceries?" said Graham Hales, of branding consultancy Interbrand.

"Or maybe it wants .value or .everylittlehelps. The choice is endless."

This never ending list of potential web real estate could cause problems, believes Jay Scott Evans, former chair of
Icann's intellectual property division and senior legal advisor for Yahoo.

"Why should brand owners have to invest huge amounts of money to protect their brands," he said.

It is a view echoed by Geoff Wicks, chief executive of NBT, owner of the domain name registry Netnames.
Dr Twomey said: "If there is a dispute, we will try and get the parties together to work it out. But if that fails
there will be an auction and the domain will go to the highest bidder."

he move could yet be blocked as the independent arbitration panel can reject domains based on "morality or public
order" grounds.

Dr Twomey said Icann was still working through how much the application fee to register a domain name would be, but it
is expected to be at least several thousand dollars.

"We are doing this on a cost recovery basis. We've already spent $10m on this," he said. "