Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Chrysler announces the rolling WiFi hotspot automobile

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:04:33 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 7:30 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Subject: RE: [IP] Chrysler announces the rolling WiFi hotspot automobile

It’s about time and perhaps late.

This doesn't seem very different from bundling in an off-the-shelf cellular router like the ones that DLink sells.
There certainly should be IP connectivity but note that built-in cellular phones and built-in GPS are unable to keep up
with the rapid evolution of decoupled technology. But built-in would make sense if systems in the car start to depend
on connectivity and we can assume that this is a platform for other capabilities.

According to the announcement “The only thing that remains to be confirmed is the cost of UConnect Web. Chrysler will
so far only say that it will "be competitive with wireless laptop cards" and that there will be no tie in to long
contracts.” This is good and bad news. Good that we can get data contracts without the long contracts – why can’t I get
that for my normal cellular data plan? But why do I need one account for my laptop and one for each of my cars?

If I build applications this would mean I’d need to assure a billing relationship for each possible path. Again –
good/bad. Good is that app can shift the onus to the owner of each car to make sure the venue (car) is outfitted with
connectivity. Bad because of the number of redundant accounts necessary to cover all of the possible paths.

It's premature to focus on the fears before we understand what is really being offered. Nor is it clear why this would
be different than any other hotspot service with regard to the security/scripting concerns.