Interesting People mailing list archives

quantum networking

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 15:17:23 -0700

From: Rod Van Meter [rdv () sfc wide ad jp]
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 5:32 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: quantum networking

Dave,

For IP, if you'll permit me a slight personal indulgence...

I was at the Conference on Future Internet Technologies (CFI08) in
Seoul last week, giving a talk on quantum networking.
http://as.icu.ac.kr/cfi08/
The talks were videotaped, and reportedly will eventually be made
available on the web.

The conference was generally stimulating; some of the papers presented
are, IMHO, good ideas, and some are bad ideas, but few were dull.  Two
of the keynotes were Chip Elliott (BBN, head of the GENI office, and
author of the first SIGCOMM quantum networking paper), who talked
about GENI, and Kilnam Chon (KAIST, then Tsinghua, now Keio), whose
talk on "The Other Billions" is about bringing the Internet to Africa
and developing countries throughout the world -- important stuff.

In addition to my CFI talk on "Applications of an Entangled Quantum
Internet", we have recently had a paper titled "System Design for a
Long-Line Quantum Repeater" accepted to Transactions on Networking.
It won't appear until Aug. 2009, but a preprint of that paper, as well
as the CFI paper and slides, are available on my quantum publications
page,
http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~rdv/quantum/publications.html

IP's Craig Partridge was my session chair, and I'm sure would have an
opinion about the paper if asked :-).

By rather cosmic (quantum?) coincidence, almost as I was speaking in
Seoul, Caltech's Jeff Kimble was publishing a paper in Nature titled
"The quantum internet":
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v453/n7198/abs/nature07127.html

Jeff is brilliant (not to jinx him, but I've heard his name mentioned
as a Nobel candidate).  His lab is responsible for some of the first
and best quantum teleportation experiments.  (Akira Furusawa, now at
U. Tokyo, was postdoc in Kimble's lab and performed some of those
experiments.  Furusawa's current work seems to elicit the adjective
"heroic" from people, due to the experimental complexity and lengths
his team will go to extend those optical squeezing and teleportation
experiments.)

The paper is a very good survey of current work on optical
interconnects for quantum systems, and will mostly be accessible to
non-physicists.  However, there are only a few sentences that would
reach the level of what most IPers would call "networking", and
nothing that would qualify as "inter-"networking.  Definitely worth a
read, though.

Apologies for tooting my own horn a bit, but I think there are IPers
who will be interested in both my papers and the Kimble paper.

Regards,

                --Rod