Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NebuAd Forges Packets, Violates Net Standards | Threat Level from Wired.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:59:52 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 10:23 AM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Subject: RE: [IP] NebuAd Forges Packets, Violates Net Standards | Threat Level from Wired.com

After listening to a talk form the President of Excite some years ago positing the ability to target ads by observing
behavior I posited a new banner ad: The Morning After Pill – we know you need it.

I don’t think of this as an NN issue – this is a straightforward privacy issue.

Why stop with looking at web pages – think of how much more information you can get by scanning email messages. Why
shouldn’t UPS and FedEx make money on the side by selling information about the packages people get – even better if
they can employ technologies that scan the contents without having actually open the letters.

Given people’s expectation of privacy do the carriers have liability? This goes far beyond disclosing lists of phone
numbers.

How sociopathic do you have to be to not recognize boundaries? But then how much of a leap is it from Amazon tracking
my preferences to a carrier having a fiduciary responsibility to monetize their monopoly control over my ability to
communicate?