Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: MIT Tech review vs the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:11:26 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 11:04 AM
To: krulwich () yahoo com; David Farber
Subject: RE: [IP] MIT Tech review vs the Internet

I’m confused. Today we have a synthetic marketplace defined out of whole cloth by a government operated corporate
welfare system. By decoupling the networking from the government/carrier defined/controlled paths we can have a real
marketplace.

Basically it’s what anti-trust is about – except in this case unlike Standard Oil – the monopoly is a government
creation.