Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: OPEC 2.0 -- Barrels vs Bandwidth

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:08:34 -0700

From: Patrick W. Gilmore [patrick () ianai net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:01 PM
To: Bob Frankston
Cc: Patrick W. Gilmore; David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   OPEC 2.0 -- Barrels vs Bandwidth

On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Bob Frankston wrote:

Of course there is maintenance. While I can argue that those costs
are minimal and far lower than roads the more important point,
however, is that bandwidth is the wrong measure.

Again, I agree with part of your statement, but not the other part.
The costs are _not_ minimal.  The actual %-age ranges depending on the
network and how it is run, but for some networks, CapEx is < 50% of
their budget.

That said, I (probably) agree that raw bits are not the way things
should be billed in a perfect world.  Until then, though, charging for
bits is a convenient proxy, much like toll-booths are sub-optimal, but
the best we have right now.  (Then again, have you see the toll roads
in Los Angeles?  They bill different amounts based on the congestion
seen on the non-toll roads.)

Like roads we should pay for it as infrastructure – we don’t expect
road operators to run the roads through each town as profit centers.
That’s one reason why the interstates were so valuable – they
reduced the cost of passing through each burb. They might have tolls
and speed traps to make a profit but more often the cost was
implicit in Main St being congested.

See my last parenthetical. :-)

But this is where the analogy breaks down.  Perhaps if we separated
physical plant from IP transit, we could make a better comparison.
Unfortunately, in the US, that is not possible due to the telcos &
cable-cos have such a horrifically bad stranglehold on just about
every governing body (PUCs, FCC, congress, etc.). :(

Anyway, I guess we are mostly in agreement.  We both agree the current
system is probably broken.  (Although I am not certain a pure cost-
recovery for physical plant is the way to go.)  I'm just trying to
point out that running a network (including IP, not just fiber) is far
more costly than spending CapEx or digging trenches.

--
TTFN,
patrick