Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: UK ISPs agree to illegally file-share their users' records

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:55:38 -0700

From: WWWhatsup [joly () punkcast com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:17 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] UK ISPs agree to illegally file-share their users' records

According to today's Register it appears that there has been a definite backpedal.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/25/three_strikes_dead_hurrah

A Government paper 'Legislative Options to address illicit P2P file sharing', announced by the
business ministry BERR, was accompanied by a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between
ISPs and the music business.

* No disconnections.
* ISPs to write nastygrams to egregious infringers.
* No national database of same.
* Ofcom to form a group to study traffic management, filtering, flags, legal recourses.
* Four month deadline.

I wrote:

Radio conversation noted by a UK blogger:

"This is just a deal with the major service providers"
"So, if I have teenagers who download music from the net, do I want to move to one of the smaller service providers,
then?"

Evan Davis talking to Nicholas Lambton on Today, a couple of minutes ago.

<http://xrrf.blogspot.com/2008/07/and-theres-loophole.html>

joly

             WWWhatsup NYC