Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC Commissioner: "Engineers solve engineering problems"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:48:20 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 4:18 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC Commissioner: "Engineers solve engineering problems"

As the engineer who testified the commissioners, including Commissioner
McDowell, that Comcast did not bring its solution before the engineering
community, I would point out that Commissioner McDowell does not explain
how the engineering community is supposed to examine Comcast's actions.

On the contrary, Comcast kept its activity secret, while denying
repeatedly they were doing what they were doing in the face of actual
*evidence* to the contrary,

Thus, we have the situation that the "engineers" who should be solving
these problems were treated like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed
manure.

I would also note that Comcast has not *yet* shared with the Internet
community any evidence of the problem they claimed, much less completely
explained the details of the proposed *solution* that will replace the
still-active blocking of selective protocols.

Commissioner McDowell's formula would be my preferred formula, but it
has a precondition.  That precondition is that companies that
participate in oligopolies supported by our government not be allowed to
play games in secret.

Sunshine *is* the best disinfectant. If any member of the Internet
eingineering community could walk into Comcast's network operations and
verify that Comcast were merely forwarding packets, that would empower
the engineers.

Otherwise, since there are reasonable reasons why Comcast might not want
people poking and probing in its rackspace, we do need laws and
penalties.  This is just commonsense, except for those who think
business is *always* honest, open, and focused on benevolent service to
its customers.