Interesting People mailing list archives

Is competition likely in U.S. broadband?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:41:45 -0700

From: Dave Burstein [daveb () dslprime com]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:11 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Is competition likely in U.S. broadband?

Dave (for list if interesting)

Is it realistic to expect a third or fourth U.S. wired network?  I
believe policy has to be designed to work well with only telcos and
cablecos, unless and until we get more effective competition.

    Karl Auerbach is absolutely right more competition is a great way
to improve things. Xavier Niel in France has just said that if they
allow him into the wireless market he will cut prices by more than
half, as he did for DSL. Jim Prentice in Canada reserved some of the
spectrum in the auction for new entrants, and it looks as though
Canada will soon go from 3 to 5 competitors and I expect to see
marked improvements.

    I've asked top Wall Streeters including Simon Flannery and Dan
Reingold about this, and the uniform answer is another broadband
carrier almost certainly could not be funded, except in wireless. The
cablecos and telcos simply have too big a cost advantage because they
already have scale and that makes their costs so much lower. Stagg
Newman came to a similar conclusion.  Wireless is great and of
primary importance, but unless technology improves a limited
substitute. Ivan Seidenberg just said he hopes to get FIOS up to 100
meg (realistic) but his goal for wireless is only  3.5 meg. There's
overlap, but if people want a fast connection wireless isn't enough.

       Practical implication: if people believe in solving broadband
issues through competition, they need to show that there will be
enough competitors to make it work. France and Japan are succeeding,
but it would require massive policy changes that probably would be
too late anyway.

       Unless and until we have effective competition, I think we
have to solve problems realistically rather than with pipe dreams of
a market.  I wish that weren't true.

Dave Burstein