Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: This is BAD news -- Google Ordered to Turn Over YouTube User Data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:33:11 -0700

From: Synthesis:Law and Technology Law and Technology [synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 1:02 PM
To: David Farber; Brock N Meeks
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] This is BAD news -- Google Ordered to Turn Over YouTube User Data

Dave,

This will most certainly be appealed.  Google has the resources as well as the interest and they can certainly find
grounds for appeal in the decision.  If you read the linked EFF page, they lay out a brief introduction to some of the
possible grounds for appeal and I am sure there are others.

Bad news? Yes. But it is not over yet.  Can you see Google welcoming this decision and not fighting it? It would be a
huge (read google-sized) headache for them to comply with.

Dan

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356