Interesting People mailing list archives

Amazon and f textbooks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:53:34 -0700

From: ed.biebel () gmail com [ed.biebel () gmail com] On Behalf Of Ed Biebel [edward () biebel net]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:54 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: BitTorrent now being used for piracy of textbooks

I agree with Seth and I have seen some professors starting to change.
My last professor informed the class that while the 4th edition was
listed in the syllabus, the only changes in that edition were to
material not relevant for the class.  He told us that we could use the
2nd and 3rd editions as well (at a significantly reduced cost).

In terms of the market, I sell all of my textbooks on amazon.com.  I
started this after receiving an offer to buy my $105 textbook for $4
through the traditional methods.  This was extremely annoying because
I take excellent care of my books and this text would undoubtedly have
been sold by the campus bookstore for upwards of $60.  I sold the
textbook for $35 on amazon.  While I didn't nearly recoup my cost or
what I felt the book was worth, I did get fair market value.  Mostly,
I took some satisfaction in knowing another student would get a "like
new" textbook for $70 less and avoid a gouging by the bookstores.

Ed