Interesting People mailing list archives

on teaching students to become responsible citizens

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:45:53 -0700

From: Mary Shaw [mary.shaw () gmail com]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 10:50 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: BitTorrent now being used for piracy of textbooks

We in universities are supposed to be teaching students to become responsible citizens. It has been unsettling that
they pirate their entertainment.  It's distressing for this to enter the classroom.  How can we expect students to
understand that plagiarism is wrong if they're pirating their textbooks?

It's clear that exhortation isn't the solution.  Even if the old models still worked, exhortation wouldn't be the
solution.  But electronic access has broken the old models.

We tell ourselves that the students buy books as an investment, because they'll keep the textbooks for reference for a
long time.  That model is broken, too.  How many students actually keep the texts?  How many texts in technology areas
are still the best sources of information 5 years later?  Aren't our graduates getting fresh information off the web?

So here's a challenge to the faculty of higher education:  Can we create a better model for developing and distributing
course materials? Can we stand apart from the entertainment industry to embrace and exploit technological progress?

I'm not saying that we should simply give away the materials -- The author of a textbook certainly deserves reward,
just like the writer and performer of a song (unlike the music industry, textbook authors do actually receive some
return for their time -- I estimate my royalties have brought in about 25 cents per hour for the time I spent
developing the texts).  So does the editor -- that unsung person who converts the textbook from a text to a product.
But electronic distribution should be much more efficient for the printing/wholesaling/retailing part of the textbook
business, which probably accounts for 60-70% of the price.

We could also take another look at how the money flows. Student purchase of a physical book under first-sale doctrine
works for paper, but not for electrons.  This is especially so if we abandon the myth that they'll keep all the books.

Mary Shaw