Interesting People mailing list archives

Marketplace story on FCC and Comcast

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 03:59:59 -0700

From: Dr. Lawrence Roberts [lroberts () anagran com]
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 9:53 PM
To: Dan Lynch; David Farber; lroberts () anagran com
Subject: Re: [IP] Marketplace story on FCC and Comcast

Dan,
For those who want to watch a movie per day, downloading a 3 GB movie at 500 Kbps takes 13 hrs, about all you want to
spend on it. However you also must in return send out 3 GB of your stored movies each day for the system to work. If 5%
of a University student body does this, a 20,000 student University would require 500 Mbps each way during the 13 peak
hours. So you see, it is easy to consume 1/2 Mbps per person. Is there a limit? Yes I would think so. 2-3 movies per
day seem like the most one could consume. But some of these students use 5 Mbps continuously. So when I say unlimited
appetite, I mean within the context of current average people usage which is much lower.

An Example:
If a University has 5000 students and 180 of them use 1/2 Mbps for the peak period then the average data rate over a
100 Mbps Internet access will be 20 Kbps and each P2P user is using 25 flows. There will be another 500 average users
trying to operate one flow at any moment and they also will get 20 Kbps. 90% of the capacity is going to P2P.
Larry