Interesting People mailing list archives

OTA on its way back?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:55:25 -0800

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall [joehall () gmail com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:40 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: OTA on its way back?

For IP if you think it's interesting.

I've long heard my respected elders talk about the defunct
Congressional Office of Technology Assessment (OTA), killed in 1995
but once with an office of about 200 (at about $22 million per year)
tasked to give Congress real scientific advice and counsel.

Recently, there has been some movement to refund OTA-like functions,
for example, $2.5 million in a recent appropriations bill for
"technology assessments".  (See John Wonderlich's (of the Sunlight
Foundation) quote of that bill here:
http://www.theopenhouseproject.com/2008/01/04/ota-update/ )

I'm wondering if any other IPers are close to the efforts to revive
the OTA and can share with us.  It would be wonderful if we can hope
to see regular scientific input into Congressional debate and
activity.

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall