Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Interesting -- comment from author -- F.C.C. to Look at Complaints Comcast Interferes With Net - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:05:16 -0800

From: Bob Frankston [Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:18 AM
To: richard () bennett com; 'Bob Frankston'
Cc: David Farber; 'ip'; 'Lauren Weinstein'
Subject: RE: [IP] Interesting -- comment from author -- F.C.C. to Look at Complaints Comcast Interferes With Net - New
York Times

Perhaps it's one of those things where you had to be there before there were networks and were just copper wires and
radios. When Dave Farber was playing with token rings and Bob Metcalfe was putting the Aloha net on a Coax as his class
project. TCP is a neat hack but is not at all fundamental. You should also look at the history of UUCP

You need to be careful about confusing end-to-end with womb-to-tomb. End-to-end means you don't assume anything but if
you're lucky you'll get a few packets through and then can discover what works and drive the dynamic.

The network is not any more fundamental to networking than rails are to travel. The wired home network is copper --
it’s not a network as such. It's just a metal we use to simply exchanging packets and it's not even necessary as we
become more adept at using radios.

An important point of end-to-end is that you don't serve the social needs in the network -- other than by facilitating
people finding their own solution that is, essentially by definition, beyond your imagination. This is why I cite
Minitel as an example -- it was farsighted but eventually the future veered off in a different direction. This is why
adaptionism not only doesn't work in evolution but would frustrate the process by locking it into a local optima.

Perhaps reading http://www.frankston.com/?name=VONRailroads and http://www.frankston.com/?Name=OurCFR might be a start.