Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast / port 25 / IPv6 ?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 02:14:27 -0800

From: Phil Pennock [pdp () spodhuis org]
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 11:18 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Comcast / port 25 / IPv6 ?

For IP if you wish.

I'm using Comcast and haven't yet been hit by their port-25 filter (and
use 587 for submitted email anyway) so can't test this myself.

For those who are blocked on "port 25 outbound", I'm curious to know if
this is TCPv4 only?  Ie, if you have IPv6 (static tunnel, 6to4,
whatever)[*] then can you get out on TCPv6 port 25?

mx.spodhuis.org has dual records, I don't mind people connecting to test
if you don't have a better test box.  It's not in North Dakota, it's not
even in the USA (heck, a colo box with IPv6 in the USA?  Don't make me
laugh).

[*] 6to4 is becoming more common; with, eg, an Apple Airport Extreme you
    just turn it on and it works; Advanced/IPv6/Tunnel+Automatically