Interesting People mailing list archives

Intel on OLPC -- a IP report

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:18:26 -0800

From: Mulloy, Chuck [cmulloy () intel com]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:13 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: Hoffman, David Legal
Subject: Intel on OLPC

Dave,

Thanks for taking to time today to talk.  Here is the Intel position on the OLPC resignation.   We are truly sorry we
could not find common ground on this.

Best

Chuck

______________________________________

Intel and OLPC are in agreement on the need to provide children around the world with new opportunities to explore
experiment and express themselves through the use of technology.  However, Intel and OLPC have reached a philosophical
impasse and Intel is no longer a member of OLPC.

OLPC, through its chairman Nicholas Negroponte, had asked Intel to end its support for the non-OLPC platforms including
the Intel designed classmate PC and to focus its support exclusively on the OLPC system the XO.

Intel concluded that it cannot accommodate the OLPC request for two reasons:  First Intel has long believed that there
is no single solution to the needs of children in emerging and underdeveloped markets.  We have always said there will
be many solutions but the most important priority is to serve the need.  Secondly, if Intel were to exclusively support
the XO over other platforms it    would force us to abandon our relationships with many local OEMs, suppliers and in
some cases governments.  Enabling a localized solution in developing countries is a core value in Intel’s efforts
because it reaches beyond just the benefits for children to create home grown businesses and entrepreneurship.  We
believe that the more solution providers there are in this area the more quickly and efficiently the benefits will
spread.

It is unfortunate that after more than six months of discussion on this key point we have been unable to reach any
agreement and have mutually elected to go our separate ways.