Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted laptop poses legal dilemma

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:35:30 -0800

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 11:27 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Encrypted laptop poses legal dilemma

Dave,

Check this as the perfect technological answer to the problem presented below.

Given my position , however, please do not use my name or my company's name if you post this.  Like anything, it has as
many legitimate as illegitimate uses; this is public information and, ironically, was brought to my attention by some
of the top security experts in the industry.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Creates a virtual drive inside of any object of your choosing.  But goes one better.  You can encrypt within the
encryption in ways undetectable.  Thus you can give a password and allow others to open it and inspect.  Those looking
will never know that within the encrypted space there is another deeper form of encryption.  That said, I'd really hate
to see the gov't or someone else shut this down.  At the same time, for people traveling who are doing legitimate
things that overreaching gov't officials have no right to see (and for which it is too late once compromise), this
presents a valid solution.  It is also incredibly useful for anyone carrying sensitive information b/c it gives you two
layers of protection if your storage device or laptop is stolen.  Know that if you mount it to a flash drive, it
formats the entire drive.  Most people create an object and mount it to that.  Also, never, ever forget your password -
did that once - and lost 50 megs worth of data.  (might want to use roboform, which encrypts and protetcts your
passwords).  There's no getting inside of this. Ever.  It's about as rock solid as it gets.

Thanks,