Interesting People mailing list archives

New travel document requirements for USA citizens

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:01:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Krishna Kumar <kmkumar () earthling net>
Date: February 6, 2008 2:49:26 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] New travel document requirements for USA citizens

for IP, if you wish:

I also find it suspicious that State announced new passport fees ($100)
starting on the same day that DHS required additional border documentation.
For the average traveller, I would rather take a passport on a trip to
Canada than a birth certificate -- it a real pain to get a new copy of a
birth certificate.

I think there are two issues here:

1) New border requirements: in my very humble view, this is an initiative
to push northern border states to get onto the REAL-ID bandwagon.  My
understanding of REAL-ID is that the database links and citizenship
documentation would be sufficient to cross the border. State is supposed
to issue "Passport" cards (cost -$45) but not until next summer.

2) APIS pre-flight clearances:  again, my humble view is that this is an
attempt by DHS to move away from the Visa Waiver Program model for friendly
countries, ad instead go to an Australian model.  Visitors to Australia
don't get a Visa Waiver, they get an electronic visa that is issued after a
"security" check.

One other point to raise here:  convenience.   Australia lets a LOT of
countries participate in their program -- more than the relatively
restricted visa waiver program. If we go to an Australian model, can we
open it up to countries like Poland, Taiwan, Greece, Turkey, etc?

Also, how the hell does a passport cost $100. If the passport card will cost $45, then $55 of the passport fee is for the physical passport -- and
the rest is the back-office expenses.  I say if DHS requires them, then
they get to subsidize them -- let them cost $15.