Interesting People mailing list archives

a comment from Ed Felten (and me) A Method for Critical Data Theft - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:57:35 -0500

BTW an interesting scenario is at Customs entering any country. Your laptop is seized ----- djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Edward W. Felten" <felten () cs princeton edu>
Date: February 22, 2008 9:51:50 AM EST
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: A Method for Critical Data Theft - New York Times

I think Lee Dryburgh is missing the point of our work.

The whole point of disk encryption products is to protect the data on
a laptop drive if the laptop is lost or stolen, that is, if physical
security is breached.  Our work shows that popular disk encryption
products fail to do what people think they do.  An adversary with
physical access to a laptop using disk encryption can (usually)
extract all the encrypted information from the disk.

As a meta-comment, be careful about anybody who debunks an idea based
on "a quick read".  Would it be too much trouble to actually read our
paper before pronouncing it pointless?