Interesting People mailing list archives

been there -- Cold Boot Attacks on Disk Encryption -- report on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:51:00 -0800

From: Paul E. Robichaux [paul () robichaux net]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:51 PM
To: David Farber; ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Cold Boot Attacks on Disk Encryption -- report on

I want to point out that this class of attacks (generically known as “Freon attacks”) have been known for some time,
although the Princeton team has done great work in making the attack more practical. BitLocker offers operating modes
that mitigate the risk of these attacks; for more details, check out the Microsoft Data Encryption Toolkit for Mobile
PCs at
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/clientsecurity/dataencryption/analysis/4e6ce820-fcac-495a-9f23-73d65d846638.mspx><http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/clientsecurity/dataencryption/analysis/4e6ce820-fcac-495a-9f23-73d65d846638.mspx>.
 It details the various BitLocker operating modes and the specific threats that they do, and do not, protect against.

Disclaimer: I was the lead author for the Data Encryption Toolkit documents.

Cheers,
-Paul