Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comments on LARIAT and Comcast not same problem

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 03:31:34 -0800

From: Richard Bennett [richard () bennett com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:51 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Comments on  LARIAT and Comcast not same problem

It's naive to assert that Jacobsen's mechanisms have served us for 20 years since they've actually been revised at
least twenty times and still fail to address the fundamental problem of per-user fairness. The most recent revisions
address a perverse behavior when one or more links run WiFi, where packet loss is typically the result of a high
intrinsic error rate rather than congestion. The WiFi variation ignores the first packet drop from the
decrease/increase effect on window size. Jacoben's fundamental error is overloading packet loss with congestion
signaling instead of adding an explicit congestion signal into the IP layer.

The problem that network operators have today is to prevent small numbers of users from using disproportionate
bandwidth, which isn't really the same as protecting the Internet's interior links from congestion. This problem was
unsolved by the TCP/IP architecture before and after Jacobsen's kludge.

RB