Interesting People mailing list archives

An EFF point of view on Does US Constitution SPECIFICALLY PROHBITS the passing of retroactive laws

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:35:45 -0800

From: Cindy Cohn [cindy () eff org]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 2:02 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip; Peter Swire
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Does US Constitution SPECIFICALLY PROHBITS the passing of retroactive laws

Hi Peter (and Dave),

Sorry to sound like a litigator, but there are indeed several
"plausible" arguments that the retroactive immunity provisions are
unconstitutional, contrary to Peter's assertion. There are also
several arguments that the prospective immunity in the bill is
unconstitutional too -- people seem to forget that the bill has both
immunities and in my opinion the second is ultimately more frightening.

EFF certainly will be making those plausible arguments should the
bill pass. There are serious due process and separation of powers
problems with the bill, which effectively grants the Executive the
power to demand that pending court cases come out a particular way
that favors the Executive.  This is an extraordinary thing to do,
especially when the constitutional claims of millions of Americans
are at issue.

While it's not really appropriate for me to lay all of the arguments
out here in this public forum (the government and telcos aren't
showing us their arguments yet either), I think you'll be interested
to see our briefing on the issue, should we have to present it.  I
urge you to keep an open mind until then.

While it would certainly be better for the courts to be allowed to do
their job with Congressional interference at this point, I don't want
Dave's readers to think that if the bill passes, the cases, along
with their privacy and constitutional rights, will simply evaporate.

Also, for those interested in responses to most of the specious
arguments being raised in the immunity fight in DC (I can't say "all"
because it's hard to keep up with all of the misleading things being
thrown around), EFF has a document where we've gathered most of them
together in a little chart:

http://www.eff.org/files/nsa/3keys.pdf

Also, on this page: http://www.eff.org/nsa

you'll find a series of documents about the immunity fight, including
a listing of the laws that the telcos violated and statements from
the whistleblower Mark Klein and expert Brian Reid about what the
suits are exactly about, which has often been missing from the debate
in DC. For instance, one thing that you wouldn't know from the pro-
immunity forces is that the suits aren't about targeted surveillance
of individuals talking to Al Qaeda. The suits against the carriers,
now largely AT&T, Verizon/MCI and Sprint, are about untargeted,
blanket surveillance of ordinary Americans in their domestic
communications and the wholesale handing over of communications
records by the telcos.

Cindy