Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: en of story F.B.I. Gained Unauthorized Access to E-Mail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:23:57 -0800

From: Steven M. Bellovin [smb () cs columbia edu]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 10:05 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: Suresh Ramasubramanian
Subject: Re: [IP] en of story  F.B.I. Gained Unauthorized Access to E-Mail

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:26:50 -0800
David Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:

There is nothing at all here that suggests that this subpoena was
unwarranted, a warrantless wiretap etc.

I agree -- that's what I wrote in my blog entry
(http://127.0.0.1/blog/2008-02/2008-02-16.html).

A technical error at an ISP, the FBI notices and asks the ISP to stop.
Destroys the rest of the data (if not all of it .. there's enough
rules of evidence to make out a case that whatever was gathered has
been tainted). End of story.

No, I think there's more.  The lesson is that mistakes like this do
happen, and proper *system* design takes that into account.  That might
be mundane -- have a procedure in place for dealing with unauthorized
data, rather than trusting individual agents.  (I have vague
recollections of reading a few years ago about some Carnivore
intercepts being destroyed by an agent who was very upset about
overcollection.)  The more important point, though, is to take this as
a lesson in humility in system design.  This time, a filtering error
caused some emails to be delivered improperly.  Next time, might a
filtering error in a surveillance system lead to penetration of
communications carrier networks?  Before you say "that can't happen",
think of the Greek cellphone scandal.  This is precisely why I and
others have long opposed tight integration of surveillance systems into
communications networks.  It's not that wiretaps are bad; it's that
such mechanisms are all too easily subverted.