Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: UNfair use -- Google iPhone usage shocks search giant

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 04:28:15 -0800

From: John [verb.adverb () gmail com] On Behalf Of John Stevenson [john () bikeradar com]
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:26 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] UNfair use --  Google iPhone usage shocks search giant

From: Peter Wayner [pcw () flyzone com]

So let me challenge the fair use advocates to explain how this kind of "fair use" is good for society?

The two jurisdictions I am most familiar with, Australia and the UK,
seems to permit exactly this kind of recycling of news stories under the
fair dealing provisions of their copyright law.

http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G079.pdf

http://copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use

I'm no copyright academic, but I imagine the basis for this is that a
free press needs to be able to report the news without each news outlet
having to repeat the original work, a requirement that would restrict
news reporting just to large organisations and impose an unreasonable
level of pestering on those involved in any story.

If they were operating under Australian law, Appleinsider would be
required to attribute the source and that seems to me the ethically
correct thing to do anyway.

--
John Stevenson
International editor, BikeRadar