Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: My review to come end of this weekend djf David Pogue Roasts the Blackberry Storm for Thanksgiving

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:52:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Lee Keet" <Lee () VanguardAtlantic com>
Date: December 12, 2008 10:17:01 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: David Pogue Roasts the Blackberry Storm for Thanksgiving

Dave,

For IP if you wish:

I bought my Storm to upgrade from my World Phone (8830), which I still have,
but which I am not going back to.  I waited to write this because David
Poque's review was SO negative and he is a great reviewer, so I assumed that
I must be wrong or that he does not care much about coverage.  I travel
internationally and also need good internet coverage in the American
boondocks, so Verizon is the only carrier that meets my needs (AT&T does not
even cover some of the places I go, at any speed).

The Storm has many start-up glitches and some design failures, but on
balance it is a good phone/PDA/etc.  True, it struggles occasionally in
finding its screen orientation, and many of the non-native applications do not yet recognize the multi-orientation and virtual keyboard, but the native
applications work very well and some are brilliant (e.g., the PDF viewer
which will expand even the tiniest spreadsheets into readable text). The
screen is beautiful, and reading email is a joy.  The combination of the
large screen and good business aps makes this useable for me (for the first time) with Microsoft Office and Acrobat files. Phone quality is excellent,
with five-band (200 country) coverage.

The camera is especially nice if you care about that, and I do occasionally
want a small camera with me: now this will be it.  It is not an iPod but
works well as a substitute for music on the go, with very good stereo sound. It tethers extremely well as a modem (but install the Verizon software first
because its drivers are older than the Desktop synch stuff from RIM).
Typing in SureType (vertical) mode works well once you learn it. I was able to type as fast on the virtual (horizontal) keyboard as I could on my 8830 once I learned that it has a right and left-hand orientation (i.e., does not
work well at cross-screen touch typing because the QWE side expects taps
from the left and the RTY side expects taps from the right).

It is frustrating to lose some of the independent aps temporarily because of the touch screen and virtual keyboard (e.g., ZAGAT to Go, BEIKS dictionary, Google maps (sort of, but the Verizon maps work great). Some worked fine
with no upgrades, e.g., my Berlitz language dictionaries).  I assume the
non-compliant aps will get upgrades if the phone is a hit. I also assume that the occasional software snags (deep space for a minute now and then)
will get rapid fixes.  Even with these bugs I took it to California this
week and found myself using it regularly with no problems that I could not live with for the nonce. Thanks to the excellent EVDO tethering I cancelled
my built-in EVDO service saving $45 per month.

Despite the flaws, I disagree with David Pogue in the main. This has the
potential to be a great business phone for those of us who travel
internationally and is, in my opinion, a step up from the 8830 World Phone. If Verizon and RIM move quickly to solve the software issues that frustrate
heavy users I suspect this will be a big winner for them.

Cheers,
Lee
Ernest E. Keet
President