Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Joseph Stiglitz on Capitalist Fools: How We Crashed the Economy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:18:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: December 10, 2008 8:49:38 PM EST
To: dewayne () warpspeed com, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Joseph Stiglitz on Capitalist Fools: How We Crashed the Economy

Two snippets:

"Because they did very little to stimulate the economy, real
stimulation was left to the Fed, which took up the task with
unprecedented low-interest rates and liquidity."

and

"The flood of liquidity made money readily available in mortgage
markets, even to those who would normally not be able to borrow."

I.E., inflation. For someone who is supposed to be a Randite,
Greenspan sure didn't follow the spirit or letter of her teachings,
nor of basic economics in general.

Students of Murray Rothbard, Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich Hayek know
what happened - inflation, leading to unsustainable malinvestment,
which is the usual reason for bubbles and crashes. Rothbard's book
America's Great Depression draws this lesson quite clearly, and the
parallels are quite striking between then and now.

Kurt