Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: WORTH READING Free Press Proposes Broadband Infrastructure Bailout of $44Billion --- More Taxes to Give Wealthy Companies that Failedto Build Out Their Networks]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:54:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: December 31, 2008 12:00:19 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] WORTH READING Free Press Proposes Broadband Infrastructure Bailout of $44Billion --- More Taxes to Give Wealthy Companies that Failedto Build Out Their Networks]

Dave,

You, me, and many others have made this point over and over again.
A key reason that there's so much skepticism about ISP deployment
promises is that we've been screwed on this score repeatedly.  Unless
there are ironclad requirements for truly neutral, open access
deployments, there's no good reason to assume that ISPs will behave
any differently than they have in the past.  To wit: cherry-picking
locations, giving themselves the lion's share of bandwidth for their
own content, blocking ports, arbitrarily prohibiting servers and other
applications, and nowadays even modifying user data, spying on user
data, trying to charge unaffiliated Web services for access to
customers, and of course implementing arbitrary and anticompetitive
bandwidth caps.

Any new public funding/tax incentives for ISP broadband deployment
should be predicated on a reasonable regulatory approach, including
disclosure, transparency, neutrality, and an understanding that we're
not going to throw money at the ISPs the way we just did with the
financial services sector.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -