Interesting People mailing list archives

a series on Broadband "Bailout"?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:04:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: December 30, 2008 8:08:31 PM EST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Broadband "Bailout"?

There is unfortunately an even more insidious potential aspect.  There
are large numbers of legislators in both parties (quite possibly a
strong majority) who might jump at the chance to score political
points by building all sorts of content control restrictions into such
monies.  And since companies would most likely not be *forced* to
accept the funds, the claim could be made that the resulting
restrictions on users, applications, search engines, and everybody
else are purely voluntary.  This funding could be seen as an ideal
wedge by those parties who keep calling for someone to "control"
Internet content.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator

- - -