Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: New AAA study on distracted driving and cell phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:10:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "paul () robichaux net" <paul () robichaux net>
Date: December 31, 2008 9:28:01 AM EST

Dossy Shiobara said:
Lets all just agree that these laws aren't being created to promote or
increase safety, but to drive sales of products - hands-free kits, etc.

I don't think that's the big driver here-- something *worse* than ordinary
commercial behavior is happening: to wit, people who are ignorant of the
real issues are proposing (or enforcing) solutions that don't actually
address the root cause of the problem. I don't believe that all of the
legislators who have pushed for these kinds of rules are corrupt or beholden to the companies who profit from them; instead, I fear that their lack of
subject matter expertise (or competent advice) leads them to enact bad
policies.

For a great example of exactly how this happens on a larger scale, drop by
nasawatch.com and read about the current controversy surrounding NASA's
Constellation program team and its interaction with the Obama transition
team.

Cheers,
-Paul