Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:55:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: December 29, 2008 9:58:08 AM EST
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    The Five Stages of Collapse

Yes. More than that (and I am sitting in Star City outside Moscow as I write), nothing in the world is simple, and that statement is more intensely true of Russia. It's correct to make the distinction between the end of the Soviet Union and the persistence of many Russian habits...

Yet, things are changing still. It's possible to find out information that you could never have found out before, courtesy of the internet and other non-mass media. Markets are working (though still not as transparently as in the West) and feedback loops are doing their thing. People's expectations (especially young people's) are changing. It's a very slow process and it's not the same throughout the country.

The place I live was an oasis of luxury in the old days. It hasn't changed much, but it's no longer an oasis. Instead, I go into Moscow to get the food and buy the things I cannot get in Star City.

Esther