Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Reckoning - WaMu Built an Empire on Bad Loans - Series - NYTimes.comworth readingin full

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:50:42 -0500

My limited experience with Boards was mainly prior to sarbanes oxley. I found the Boards (commercial ones only) spent all their time looking at balance sheets and hearing reports from senior management on tightly scheduled timing -- little chance for in-depth questions. Many NFP Boards seemed the same. I specifically exempt EFF and the Stevens Boards where strategy discussions as well as financial play n important part of the meetings.

Reading about clamities of the past -- Enron etc seems to support this.

sarbanes oxley and the opportunity for personal libaility seems to help a bit.

Dave

Begin forwarded message: