Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: $1.6B went to bailed-out bank execs FIRE THE BUMS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:23:29 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: December 22, 2008 9:34:37 PM EST
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: $1.6B went to bailed-out bank execs FIRE THE BUMS

Declan,

Thanks much.  Yeah, lots of people at those levels have a similar
mindset.  But since the bailout specifically was the particular focus,
I decided not to pull in the various other categories, of which,
as you note, there are several.  Plenty of dirt to go around.

As for "useful" income ...  I actually struggled a bit over that word.
What I was trying to exclude was personal wealth derived from criminal
activities, fleecing the poor (e.g. slum lords), that sort of thing.
"Legal income" didn't cover it, and I didn't want to go for concepts
like "virtuous" or "beneficial" -- so I settled on "useful" for now.
Probably not the optimal choice.

Someone I know is a senior commercial airline pilot (for many years).
He tells me that in some countries he flies to, the crew are treated
much worse than the passengers.  He says that he can depend on his
luggage being completely torn apart and tossed around by customs every
time in certain locales.  I found this surprising at first, but
apparently the logic is that crews who are constantly flying back and
forth are *supposedly* the most likely to be drug couriers.  I'm not
sure that I buy this but it's interesting nonetheless.

Thanks again!

--Lauren--