Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband Economics 101 - Focus on the economics, not the technology

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 05:59:53 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: December 17, 2008 6:24:17 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Re: Broadband Economics 101 - Focus on the economics, not the technology

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Brett Glass.  DLH]

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: December 17, 2008 2:36:33 PM PST
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Dewayne - For your list, if you will (Re: Broadband economics)

Robert Berger writes:
There is no comparison of fiber to wireless. Wireless is for ubiquity, fiber for bandwidth.

This is not correct. Wireless is not only just as good as fiber for bandwidth; it's better. As we're fond of saying when ADSL or cable modem service goes down in our area but we stay up, you can't dig up a wireless link with a backhoe.

This isn't to say that there aren't specific applications in which one or the other is more cost-effective. Fiber is generally more effective than wireless for links greater than 10 miles that carry large amounts of traffic, for example. But don't write wireless off as the "third pipe," because in fact it's the best alternative. And it's the only medium that can serve the areas where fiber will likely never run.

As an engineer, I always pick the medium that's best suited to the purpose. And for competitive last mile service, I specialize in wireless because it delivers far better cost/performance and superior reliability.

As fiber is the arteries, wireless is the capillaries.

Not true. We have a 1.25 Gbps wireless link up and running now -- and faster speeds yet would be possible if the FCC allocated the spectrum for them.

And I want an arterial connection to my home and office.

Do you need multiple gigabits of data? Are you prepared to pay for them? At $6 per Mbps per month -- the lowest wholesale pricing one can get nowadays at major peering points -- that's $6,000 per month per gigabit. And that doesn't include the cost of getting it to your home and office. If you're willing to pay that much, there are likely multiple vendors willing to string fiber (or any other medium you desire) to your home.

In any event, there is no excuse for denigrating and slandering our product.

--Brett Glass
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>