Interesting People mailing list archives

There *is* some justice.... NYPD Officer indicted

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:17:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David Lesher" <wb8foz () panix com>
Date: December 15, 2008 6:18:58 PM EST
To: dave () farber net (David Farber)
Subject: There *is* some justice.... NYPD Officer indicted

Subject: Officer Is Indicted in Toppling of Cyclist - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

December 15, 2008, 4:35 pm

Officer Is Indicted in Toppling of Cyclist

By John Eligon AND Sewell Chan

Updated, 5:13 p.m. | A police officer who was caught knocking a man
off his bicycle in Times Square over the summer in a video that was
distributed widely on YouTube has been indicted by a grand jury,
according to lawyers involved in the case.

The officer, Patrick Pogan, has been instructed to report to State
Supreme Court in Manhattan for the unsealing of the indictment, his
lawyer, Stuart London, said.

David Rankin, a lawyer for the bicyclist, Christopher Long, said the
office of the Manhattan district attorney, Robert M. Morgenthau,
informed him around 3 p.m. that a grand jury had voted to indict Officer
Pogan. Mr.  London and Mr. Rankin both said they did not know the
specific charges, and Mr. Morgenthau's office declined to comment.

It is believed that prosecutors were seeking felony charges of filing
false records in connection with the police report that Officer Pogan
filed after arresting Mr. Long. Officer Pogan, who was stripped of his
gun and badge in July after the video emerged, also could be charged
with a misdemeanor count of assault.

Prof. F: We are being more and more under the thumb of Big Brother's
cameras. What I find interesting is the effect of what I call "Little
Brother". With no bystander video, odds are Mr. Long would have been
held and likely convicted.

But from Rodney King & Mark Fuhman on, the public has been learning what
police reporters have known for years: cops will nonchalantly commit
perjury if they think they can get away with it; and further, many
arrests are used to cover up police abuse.

It's a small sea change, but I see it growing over time.