Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: READ DHS responds on laptop searches; direct action campaigns

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:52:27 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:28 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  DHS responds on laptop searches; direct action campaigns

Suggesting one answer to Rob Atkinson: So here's one reason why it may
matter: mission creep in the various agencies as they see their goal as
information collection, not for one purpose, but for any purpose to
which it can be put.

For example: I recently attended a meeting at MIT where the FBI and ICE
(border patrol) gave presentations focused on their interest in getting
university faculty and staff at places like MIT to help them with their
various jobs focused on immigration, export control of sensitive
technologies, etc.  (getting involved in stuff like Infraguard, etc.)

The part I found worrisome:  One of the keynote speakers stated that
after 9/11 there were new priorities given to the "intelligence"
functions of various agencies including FBI and ICE. Anti-terrorism was
one (obvious), but in the top 5 revised priorities was a phrase that
said, approximately (I would have taken a photo to copy the slide, but
with all the Feds in the room, my actions might have been misconstrued),
"protecting US economic interests from foreign threats".  I found this
priority oddly placed, and difficult to parse (is a multinational like
IBM or Carlyle Group with non-US investors and creditors but chartered
in the US something they are supposed to protect? Or is it a "foreign
threat"?  Not so clear)

So if a laptop contains company proprietary information being carried
across the border something that fits within the scope of such
intelligence gathering activities?  If data of value to such a US
company is being carried in a foreigner's laptop, can it be shared for
national-interest reasons with the US company?  (of course, by symmetry,
China would have a right to copy and give to its companies any data
being carried by US visitors that might be of use to companies chartered
there.)  If an individual MIT inventor carries plans for an interesting
invention to negotiate with Samsung an exclusive trade secret license,
is it ICE's job to copy and to share that data with Intel because
Samsung's semiconductor business competes with Intel?

What recourse does one have when standing there in the border to stop
one's personal assets from being seized and devalued by government
appropriation/theft?

One might wonder whether those who handle the data extracted from
laptops are actually Federal agents, or just contractors in the private
sector, who might work for companies who would be tempted to extract
information for purposes other than strict national security reasons
(e.g. Booz-Allen, GE security, any of the Carlyle-owned companies).  How
well are the employees who handle such information vetted and
supervised?  The CIA has trouble even finding Aldrich Ames, and he was
career Fed.

It seems to me that the risks of collecting and storing lots of data for
no serious purpose INVITES serious problems.