Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple retroactively removing apps from your iphone/ipod touch when they are removed from the App Store

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:50:52 -0700

From: Sam Posten [sposten () gmail com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:24 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Apple retroactively removing apps from your iphone/ipod touch when they are removed from the App Store

Professor Farber, I have learned of an interesting twist to the Apple iPhone App Store that I havent seen discussed
widely and I think many IP readers may not be aware of, I know I wasnt aware of it myself.

According to Terry White, who runs a technology enthusiast web site, when Apple removes an app from the App Store, the
next time you sync iTunes will automatically remove that application from any iPhones or iPod Touches you have it
installed on!   Even if you paid for it.  Even if it is by all accounts legal.  Even if it has no chance of harming
other users or the telecommunications infrastructure.  And it does this without significant warning.

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/?p=753

The context of this story is framed around Netshare, an application that seems legal EXCEPT where it comes to the terms
of use of your AT&T TOS.  I am not an AT&T subscriber and am not subject to their TOS.  While I did not buy Netshare
and had no plans to do so, it is conceivable that users like me might use a similar application to have an iPod
tethered to a laptop to have this device act as a kind of rudimentary firewall, and I'm sure a lot of IP readers who
are much more saavy about this could come up with a lot more interesting uses.  Regardless, it is very disturbing that
Apple could do this to my device without my permission.  Suppose Apple all of a sudden determined that they did not
want to support explicit podcasts or songs any more, wouldnt their be a huge outcry if all of a sudden they started
removing these bits off of our devices?  It's a terribly slippery slope and if we allow these vendors to take these
liberties with OUR property there is no telling how far they will push this capability.

Sam