Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Unencrypted laptop with Clear Program data stolen

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:44:20 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:40 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Unencrypted laptop with Clear Program data stolen

Note that Clear's got some very severe and very obvious privacy policy
issues.  I noticed this first when I saw the early marketing materials
in San Jose Airport a few years ago (I picked up the brochure as someone
interested in security and privacy).

1) Clear's privacy policy is not made clear in any of its marketing
materials.  Interesting because Clear is granted a great deal of
authority by our US government!  (there is an "online privacy" policy,
but careful reading of it gives no understanding WHATSOEVER about what
privacy an applicant can expect.  Perhaps that's because the US
government will receive all information, and our wonderful Executive
Branch makes no limits to its claims.

2) Clear's ownership, location, contact information, etc. are not
available in any of its marketing materials.  This is incredibly odd
behavior for a company that says "trust us", not only to its customers,
but ALSO by implication we as non-Clear passengers are supposed to trust
Clear with our very LIVES... the Fast Pass bypasses normal security
measures in airports that are supposed to protect us.

So we are trusting an mysterious spooky company who refuses to tell us
who they are, and we are trusting them despite having no policy!

It's not Clear who are the idiots.   It's TSA, DHS, Congress and the
American public who are the idiots.

If a US Bank had such a lack of accountability, they'd be sued to death
at the first error they made.

This clarifies just what was on laptop. The idiots   djf